Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Our Social Responsibility

“What are u looking at the slum children? We don’t see any beauty in them? Day after day you come here and see. Can’t u see the peace in their eyes? If you had seen a slum child in Germany, his eyes would be burning with the spirit of vengeance that I am dwelling in a slum because of the upper class people who have denied me my due, so his heart will be burning his eyes with vengeance. Here I see the peace amidst the poverty and this is the tradition of your age old culture .I don’t have to blame somebody for my poverty .I can myself bear with my fate and my soul be always upward.”
-Mrs. Maria Burgi (Research Scholar ,Germany)

The young generation of India is upset over the scenario of the social welfare in our country. This is the reason why I think why our President itself is so interested in the students of this generation. Almost all discussions in our sleepless nights tend to be in this direction of improving this condition of the people here. The people in and around our school itself, situated in a remote village in the interiors of Idukki have no chance of any exposure to the rapid changes of this new world. Their children dosen't know what this IT and ITES is all about. what to say if they want to see a film itself, they should travel 23 kilometers, regardless of the fact that they don’t have electricity and our infrastructural facilities, their children show enormous intellectual capacity and remorseless maturity.

I feel great respect to my classmates who introduced education to these children of Pullikkanam in our campus.’im a lot thankful to you, unless otherwise you had not given this chance, my children would never had got this kind of exposure to English language, the computers and these kinds of modern games, my daughter is very brilliant I know, but we have nothing to give her, even tuition to her.im grateful to the children here who has provided free tuition to them' says a mother who works as a plucker in the nearby tea estate.
it was another Sunday at the holy mass in the Pullikkanam church that the priest was appreciating the work done by my class mates to the society. Words failed for him to express his thanks and regards for the help they gave for building a wall 1350m long at the outskirts of Wagamon. Around 28 of them in the terrible heat was fully committed to their work.’I thank them all’, he said .'they came in despite caste and creed. This concern for the society is that is what is needed for the new generation’, he added.
The first three months of our stay in our school, we were in a hostel which was very far from our campus. This was in Wagamon which is a local town those days were very enjoyable as they were much interesting. Those days gave us amble oppurtuni6y to mingle with the local community who were very nice to us even

No comments: